Tuesday, October 28, 2008

"How do you do it?"


I don't have much to write about tonight, just random thoughts. I was thinking the other day how many times people ask me how I manage six kids or "I don't know how you do it" comments. I must field those comments and questions several times a week. Quite frankly, I don't think six kids is that big of a family. Although, there are times when I think, "I have six kids! How did this happen?!" Anyway, I've learned that the best answer is to say, "We laugh a lot. We don't take ourselves that seriously. And I say 'no' a lot, too. I'm rather unpopular at any given time with friends, family, and neighbors." I have learned that this seems to be the secret to enjoying my larger size family. I don't have lots of expectations for myself or my kids other than the basics of dishes, laundry,general neatness, healthy meals, and kindness and patience. To achieve all of this even one day a week is an astonishing, sound-the-trumpets (do ya' hear that David?) day!As this season of having really little ones changes, I'm sure the bar will be raised higher. At this point, though, I can't imagine adding in piano lessons, soccer practice, dance lessons, art lessons, Girl Scouts, etc. To be pulled in so many different directions time and money-wise is bordering on insanity. My children are learning to be creative in their backyard and to play with one another. "I'm bored" and "There's nothing to do" are not acceptable phrases in our home, although I have one child who regularly utters these banned words. I'm still thinking and praying about how to answer her so that she is creative with her options and resourceful before she utters those dreaded words. I think I'm going to have a talk with her tomorrow and see how I can help her "think before she speaks."

No comments: