Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A Stream Runs Through It


I feel rather philospohical this morning. I went to the Corner Bakery last night with Julia in her car seat just to get out of the house and read my Bible and think. I got just a soft drink and, like usual, they gave it to me for free. This happens to me all the time there. They know me so well, and I've spent so much money there on food that they figure they'll keep me happy and coming back with free soda. They're right. Now, I don't expect a free soft drink, but they almost always give it to me if that's the ony thing I order. (I brought my own cookies last night because they were good and they were virtually free).
Anyway, while sitting in a booth watching a worker out of the corner of my eye sweeping up their outdoor patio, I got a picture in my head of a stream of water. It seems that pain, in the form of trials, disappointments, etc. is that stream of water, sometimes rushing and sometimes gurgling, that God uses to soften the rocky places in my heart. Where pride, bitterness, selfishness, and ignorance are deeply wedged in the landscape of my heart those trials seem to bring a softening. And that's good. It just hurts. This is not a profound thought. Of course pain and trials hurt! I was reading in the Psalms about God responding to David's cry for deliverance and then about God bringing satisfaction and joy to those who trust him. These thoughts must have resonated in my thinking last night because when I awoke I found myself aware that I've been viewing life rather pessimistically lately. It's been a challenging season these last 10 months - perhaps one of the most challenging seasons of my life. Maybe God will bring it to a close and joy and satisfaction will arrive anew. Maybe that stream of water will have a sweet little boat with a diet Coke and a big chocolate chip cookie (from Carl's Jr. no less)and it will take me to a new place where calmer waters and a more picturesque landscape exist. I believe a better season is ahead where hope and faith in the goodness and mercy of God will take me. We'll see. I'll keep you posted...

No comments: