Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Looking for the Rainbow


     Yesterday I was driving to Lancaster in the pouring down rain with Leanne and Chloe in the back of the car. (Remember the last time I went to Lancaster? http://halfdozengirls.blogspot.com/2009/11/thanksgiving-fun-sort-of.html) We were heading to Paul (Tim's stepbrother) and Angela's house to see their kids. Their kids had gotten some upsetting news the night before and since their mother is doing some rigorous training for her job all week long, I volunteered to go to their house and spend some time with the kids.
     We're on the 14 north bound and had already driven past several accidents when I see this red Subaru Forester stopped in the carpool lane facing the wrong direction. The car in front of me, a gold Lexus, was slowing down and came to a complete stop. I had to stop, too. When someone got out of the Lexus to go to the driver in the Subaru I rolled down my window and asked if I should call 911. The good samaritan indicated that the guy was in critical condition and yes, call 911. So, I'm calling 911 and watching the good samaritan take the wheel of the car and move it across all the lanes of stopped traffic to the shoulder of the road. I'm trying to explain to the 911 operator where I was and drive across traffic with cars now moving since the vehicle in question was off the road at this point. It was crazy and a little hair raising. I managed to get onto the shoulder while talking to another 911 operator. I had to get out of my car to ask the good samaritan questions in the pouring down rain. I'm having a hard time hearing the operator and then I see the sheriff pull to the side of the road. "Do I still need to be talking to 911?" The good samaritan guy indicated to me that the driver appeared to be paralyzed. "We need an amubulance!" The 911 operator continued to ask me questions and I'm trying to answer next to loud traffic buzzing by. All the while the rain is persistently pelting me and the wind is whipping around me. The good samaritan then yells to me,"You saved that guy's life!" (I really didn't.) The sheriff looks at us and says, "Somebody stay with him!"  The good samaritan leaves at that point and hops into a blue jaguar that appeared to be waiting for him at the side of the road. I look at my girls in the car about 100 feet ahead and deciding that they'll be okay, I step into the victim's car.
     "Hi! I'm Laura. I'm going to pray for you." (I didn't know what else to do!) And I just earnestly asked God to bring his comfort, his ministering angels, his peace, and his protection. The young man appeared to be perfectly fine and his car wasn't dented at all. After I prayed I asked him, "What's your name?" He replied quietly, "Jesus." To which I then asked, "Are you hurt anywhere?" He shook his head weakly and said, "No, I'm just in shock and my hands don't have much feeling in them." He appeared to be shaking and I grabbed his right hand and began to massage it between my hands and then I took his left hand and did the same. After about 30 seconds of that I said, "I've got to get back to my kids, but you just talk to Jesus. He loves you and cares for you and will help you. OK?" He nodded and I exited the car quickly. I ran towards my girls who were leaning on the seat looking out the back window. "Let's go girls. Thank you so much for staying in the car."
     "I have to go to the bathroom, Mom!" Chloe informed me. So, off we went to find a bathroom and then on to Paul and Angela's. I was soaking wet and yet so grateful that God gave me such an incredible opportunity to comfort that poor young man in the car. In his moment of  need he gave me the privilege of sharing God's love in a tangible way. I reflected back to last summer when another good samaritan was trying to revive my niece who had drowned while having a seizure.  My stepsister, her mom, turned to me and cried out, "I don't know what to do!" At that moment I just stepped up to her, placed my hands on her shoulders and said, "We're going to pray!" (It's really the only thing I know to do in crisis moments).She told me later that she felt much better after I prayed. (My niece was revived and made a full recovery. Yeah!).It was a phenomenal blessing to cry out to God on behalf of my niece and her mother.
     When Daisy and Julia were born I felt immense fear during those deliveries in extremely different ways. What magnified the trauma was that no one comforted or reassured me when I was most afraid. (Although Tim was very helpful when Julia was being born. He almost delivered her, even though he was scared, too!) So, I felt like God gave me opportunities in these two very different situations to be a comforter to these people. I've become so keenly and painfully aware of how important that encouraging word or comforting touch is at that moment of need.  I was overcome with such an intense feeling of thankfulness that God would bring about a measure of healing and redemption for me in such a way that would benefit others, too.
     The rain continued to fall as I drove under the darkened sky of storm clouds, but a dazzling rainbow of joy and peace flooded my heart and emotions. Thank you, God.  You are so good and kind and faithful.

2 comments:

dietcokegrrl said...

You were so calm and level-headed--I would be totally freaking out! So glad you were there to pray for this guy and provide comfort for him!

Morgan said...

I hope he was okay! That was great that you stopped to help him and even pray with him.