Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Hiccups Cure

This morning at 7:45 am Chloe and I were in my bedroom folding the clothes on my bed. We had an exchange that went something like this:
Chloe: "Mom, I have the hiccups."
Me:  "You do? I have a remedy for that."
Chloe:  "Really?"
Me "Yes. I've been trained and certified in getting rid of hiccups in children. You want me to try my remedy on you? (Earnest nod from Chloe.)All right, well payment will be due when services are rendered. You know, the payment is a big hug and a smoochie kiss.Can you pay that? (Another vigorous nod from Chloe). Come here then."
Chloe walks over to where I'm standing. I bend down and put my arm behind her knees and another arm around her waist and turn her upside down. I begin to shake her up and down while gently pressing on her tummy with one hand and pressing my fingers into her ribs with my other hand. She starts laughing and squirming.
Me:"You can't laugh! No laughing! The cure won't work! Stop laughing!" The giggles and hearty laughter continue from my little squirmy six year old and then I put her down. "Did it work?"
Chloe: "Yeah" (big toothy smile and giggles).
Me: "Good! You know, I was at the top of my class. You need to pay me now." Chloe turns to me and I give her a big hug and a kiss and I'm laughing at our silly exchange and the hiccups cure that worked. I looked at the clock then and realized that she would have been at school at the moment she was getting the hiccups treatment from her highly qualified AND certified Mom. Would there have been anyone at school with my qualifications? I don't think so. Those qualifications come from the heart.
Ahh...the joys of motherhood and homeschooling.

2 comments:

foutfolk said...

Great story. And wonderful expression of love!

You are right . . . I am a little afraid of going to the hospital. Only sick people are there!

dietcokegrrl said...

What a sweet story! Love it!