Sunday, November 23, 2008

Thanksgiving thoughts

I can't believe it's been several weeks since I've written on my blog. My computer was down for a week or so and I've been fasting and keeping a "fast journal." This outlet for writing has satisfied my need to express myself, but I would like to update my blog with other things that could be made more public. However, now that I'm sitting here I can't think of anything to write about. Thanksgiving is this week and I'm actually looking forward to it. I'll be with my Dad and Stepmom and sisters and one stepsister, Camie. Our kids get along very well together and Camie is just as sweet and funny as can be.
I like Thanksgiving. It's always been one of our favorite family holidays growing up. I remember the Thanksgiving when my brother, an older teenager at the time, came in to the dining room from the kitchen and sat down with the rest of us to finish eating. We said: "Michael, you've been picking at the chocolate cake." To which he responded: "No, I haven't." We then proceeded to point the chocolate crumbs on the side of his mouth that he hadn't totally wiped off his face before returning from the scene of the crime. Caught! Chocolate handed!
I also remember waking up late in the morning on Thursday one year when I was in high school to the smells of dinner cooking and seeing my mom working hard to put it all together. It was so nice to sleep in, to see my mom in the kitchen, and to smell the yummy smells of Thanksgiving dinner coming together. I miss my Mom.
Although 2008 has been one of the hardest years I can remember enduring in a long time, there are an overwhelming amount of things I can be thankful for. The sheer number of blessings God has graciously granted me are staggering. How could I complain about ANYTHING or focus on negative things? Even the negatives will in turn be blessings in time. He will turn my ashes into beauty....Everything in its time.

No comments: